History of the synagogue in Odenbach
|The synagogue was erected in 1752. The majority of its prayer room was used by the men while the women followed the procedure behind a permeable wall in the rear left of the room.
With the prospering religious community in the 19th century a separate gallery for the women was installed: A separate entrance was constructed and parts of the ceiling were removed in order to provide women and smaller children an adequate opportunity to follow the prayer.
| In 1938 during the “Reichspogromnacht” the interior of the synagogue was completely devastated while the building remained scarcely damaged, probably due to the fact that by a burning synagogue “non-jewish property” would have also been destroyed.
During the Second World War and the following years the decaying building was used as storage.
In 1985 historian Bernhard Kukatzki discovered rare mural art paintings in the context of an inspection of the interior.Following an initiative of the protestant church community citizens of Odenbach and the vicinity founded a non-profit - association to save the synagogue and to restore the beautiful paintings. This gave birth to the “Förderverein ehemalige Synagoge Odenbach e.V.”
The building was purchased by the association shortly after. In the meantime the former synagogue had been declared a site of historical interest.
By a great amount of public means the building was restored and the rare mural art paintings were able to be conserved.
Therefore the former synagogue is not only an art-work gemstone, but also a rare example of a synagogue in a rural area.
|1627 ||Church records first time list Jewish citizens in Odenbach. |
|1752 ||Construction of the synagogue – decoration with mural art of the school of Eliezer Sussmann. |
|1808 ||Jewish religious community consists of 59 citizens. |
Reconstruction of the synagogue.
Jewish community reaches 139 citizens. During the second half of the 19th century emigration and migration to cities result in an steady decrease of population.
|1900 ||Records report 55 Jewish citizens. |
|1938 ||During the “Reichspogromnacht” the interior is completely devastated. The Jewish community no longer exists.|
|In the following years the building is used as storage. |
The former synagogue is declared a site of historical interest.
|1988 ||Purchase of building by the “Förderverein ehemalige Synagoge Odenbach e.V.” as a non-profit - association. Restoration of building and paintings.|
|1995||Renovation completed. Baroque mural art paintings conserved and site open to the public. |