Friends of the Synagogue
ASSOCIATION FOR THE PROMOTION OF THE FORMER SYNAGOGUE ODENBACH
Who we are
We are a non-profit association for the promotion of FORMER SYNAGOGUE ODENBACH (Förderverein ehemalige Synagoge Odenbach e.V). We support the ancient country synagogue in Odenbach (67748 Odenbach, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany). The association has 80 members. About 10 very active members among form the conception circle, developing and designing events and exhibitions. All of us work on a voluntary basis.
What are our goals
(1) Preservation of the synagogue, which is of great artistic and historical value
- Historic synagogue building erected in 1752 by Salomon Meyer.
- Interior painted with colourful floral motifs attributed to the Polish itinerant painter Elieser Sussmann, which are still preserved in large parts.
- worldwide only three testimonies of Sussmann’s work are still known: Horb - now in Jewish Museum Jerusalem, Georgensgmünd in Franconia and here, in Odenbach.
(2) Making visible and preserving traces of Jewish life
- preserved Genizah, e.g. circumcision pennants from 1812 and wedding contracts from the same period.
- Chronicle of Odenbach, volume III, Jewish life - available in German language.
- Publication "Wege der Erinnerung - von Offenbach am Glan nach Odenbach - Zeitzeugen berichten über den Holocaust" (ways of remembrance - from Offenbach am Glan to Odenbach - contemporary witnesses tell about the Holocaust) - available in German language.
(3) Memorial work and contact point for descendants
- Research center for descendants of Jewish citizens scattered all over the world.
- Memorial next to the synagogue building with the names of Odenbach citizens who perished in the Holocaust
"I will give them a name that shall never perish" - We commemorate the people whose lives ended in the concentration camps.
(4) Commitment to tolerance
- Using the synagogue as a place to get to know each other and for discussions on topics of Christian and Jewish culture.
- Opening the house for visitors and create an appealing setting for readings, exhibitions and concerts.
- Touring exhibition - Odenbach goes out into the world - prepared on exhibition boards with interesting facts about the synagogue, the sponsoring association and about individual fates from regional citizens.
What drives us
But even if things are sometimes looking bleak: we are looking into the future with optimism.
Especially now, we see that xenophobia is on the rise again everywhere. We are standing up to this. It is more than ever important for us to continue our work and to keep alive the memory of the Jewish past in the small village of Odenbach, in the region and throughout the world.
Odenbach Synagogue, exterior view
Event inside Odenbach Synagogue hall